Faculty Researchers from the Palliative Research Center are recognized for their wide-reaching contributions to palliative care science and policy.
Awards and Honors
- In 2019, Dr. Dio Kavalieratos received the 2019 Early Career Investigator Award from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- In 2018, Dr. Jessica Merlin received the 2018 John Liebeskind Early Career Scholar award from the American Pain Society.
- In 2017, Dr. Robert Arnold received the Patricia Browne Prize in Biomedical Ethics.
- In 2017, Dr. Dio Kavalieratos was appointed to a second two-year term as chair of the scientific subcommittee of the American Association of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM), joined the Journal of Palliative Medicine (JPM) Editorial Board as Associate Editor, and was appointed Co-Director of Palliative Care Initiatives for the for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- In 2017, Dr. Yael Schenker received the Society of General Internal Medicine Early Career Investigator Award.
- Dr. Robert Arnold was appointed PC-FACS (Palliative Care - Fast Article Critical Summaries for Clinicians in Palliative Care) Associate Editor in Chief.
- Dr. Robert Arnold was appointed as a Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine in 2016.
- Drs. Robert Arnold and Yael Schenker were appointed as members of the Carnegie Mellon University Center for Ethics and Policy.
- Dr. Yael Schenker was awarded the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Early Career Investigator Award in 2016.
Investigators from the University of Pittsburgh's Palliative Research Center have been involved in the following national recommendations shaping the future of palliative care:
- Decision Making in Advanced Heart Failure: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association
- An Official American Thoracic Society Workshop Report: Assessment and Palliative Management of Dyspnea Crisis
- Palliative and End-of-Life Care in Stroke: A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association
- 2017 HIV Medicine Association of Infectious Diseases Society of America Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Chronic Pain in Patients Living With Human Immunodeficiency Virus
In the Press
- "Pitt-based study finds palliative care benefits, but with limits" (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, November 2016)
- "Palliative care improves quality of life, lessens symptoms" (Science Daily, November 2016)
- "Cancer Centers Are Spending More On Ads, But That Doesn’t Mean Better Care " (NPR, July 2016)
- "Ask Your Doctor if This Ad Is Right for You" (New York Times, February 2016)
- " 'We're not talking about dying': The human touch of palliative care" (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, December 2014)